|Ingredient||Metric / Imperial|
|Lamb Shanks||12 (215g each)|
|Canola Oil||45 mL|
|Salt and Black Pepper||to taste|
|Spanish Onion||1 large|
|Carrots - chopped||2|
|Garlic - chopped||3 cloves|
|Mustard seeds||15 mL|
|Thyme||4 sprigs (8g)|
|Rosemary||6 sprigs (10g)|
|Chicken stock||708 mL|
|Yield: 8 as main course|
- In a heavy bottomed rondo/brazier/pot, heat the oil, season the lamb shanks, sear and brown completely. Remove and reserve.
- In the same rondo/brazier/pot, add the onion and carrots and continue cooking until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic, mustard seeds, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, chicken stock, water and reserved lamb shanks. Place covered in a moderately slow oven (325ºF) and cook for 1 hour. Uncover and continue to cook for one hour and 15 minutes or until well cooked and tender.
- Remove the lamb to a serving dish/casserole. Strain the cooking liquid through a strainer – the liquid should have some body to it and resemble a thin sauce. Return the liquid to the stove and whisk in cornstarch (thinned with water) and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the lamb shanks to the pot and reserve for service.
- Remove the meat from 4 shanks and divide into 8 portions. Place each portion of lamb meat in a pasta rim bowl and place a lamb shank on top. Drizzle with the sauce and serve with roasted pearl onions, root vegetables and fork mashed new red potatoes.